What is different about the Home Design Magazine Renovation of the Year Awards?
This competition spotlights the outcomes created by home owners when they commit to a renovation.
It is designed to reward those that have recently done a renovation, and inspire those who are thinking about one.
The emphasis of this program is on creating outcomes – we are looking to see how the renovation improved the life of the family living in the home.
This means that ANY renovation can win – it could be a highly impactful DIY job, or a major reno involving professionals. We are looking for evidence of good outcomes for the family that live in the home.
There will be a six-finalists and 1 winner. All finalist projects will be promoted throughout the year to prospective renovators by being featured in Home Design Magazine and social media.
Entry is easy, and there is a chance to win a cheque for $9,000 if you are the winner, a $999 voucher if you are the runner-up, a trophy if you are a finalist, PLUS every early entry received before 10th November will also receive a FREE 6-month subscription to Home Design Magazine.
Who can enter?
Any home owner based in Australia or New Zealand, with a renovation that has been completed since 1st Jan 2011.
If you are a renovation professional i.e., Builder, Architect or Specialty Designer you are welcome to ask you past customers to enter. In these cases, you can even enter on their behalf and send a link to them to sign-off.
If your home owner is listed as a finalist, and the form has been filled in correctly, both you and they will receive a trophy, and both you and they will be listed in the coverage. Only home owners will be in the running for prize money, as winners or runners-up, but professionals can receive the kudos associated with a win.
Staff of Universal Media Co, or their immediate relatives cannot enter.
How Professionals can get their Past Home Owners to Enter
Fill in their Name, Address, plus your own company name and any other companies involved in the design or build under ‘Designer/Builder Credits’.
To save the shareable link, click the ‘Save’ button at the bottom of the entry form, then copy the shareable link from the prompt that pops up on the next screen.
Send the link to your customer for completion and submission.
Why reward the home owner?
Ultimately it is the home owner who sets the vision for the project. It is also the homeowner who can tell us if the project achieved the desired outcomes.
Home Owners must credit any professionals used. This is not only a requirement but it is polite to give credit where credit is due. These businesses will gain kudos from the competition which may help them get more work.
Who is behind the Home Design Magazine Renovation of the Year Awards?
This program is run by Universal Media Co as the promoter.
Universal Media co is the Trading Name of Universal Magazines Pty Ltd (ACN 003 026 944)
Basic Entry Criteria
Entry is free
Entry is Open to home owners in Australia and New Zealand.
Projects must have been completed to practical completion within the last 10 years, specifically since 1st Jan 2011.
The closing date for entries is COB 25th March 2022. Late entries will not be accepted.
By entering participants are confirming…
- Participants agree to be bound by these general terms and conditions and entry criteria for this competition,
- That you are authorised to enter,
- That you have filled in this form accurately,
- That you have credited any professional project stakeholders including any Designers or Builders.,
- That you acknowledge that you either took the photographs yourself or obtained permission from the photographer to use the photos that you submit for the purpose of this competition, including property, business and person, for publication in media, which includes but is not limited to coverage in Home Design Magazine, plus associated digital and social media,
- A willingness to receiving information emails from the Promoter and their Sponsors,
- That there were no serious injuries or deaths which occurred onsite during construction, and
- That there are no outstanding debts or complaints relating to the project.
See below for full entry requirements.
Assessment Criteria & Selection of the Winner
Entries will be assessed by a panel of judges, and representatives of the promoter, based upon the following criteria.
- 100 words on why you love your reno – This should include what you set out to achieve and why you love the outcome for your family as the residents – 25%
- Imagery – How design answered those objectives specifically. Note that while we ask for ‘before shots’ to give context these are not essential and the judging here will rely on the ‘after shots’ – 25%
- Visible Smart Design Ideas in Action – Using your ‘After Shots’ the judges will look for clever design elements that helped achieve the brief – 25%
- Inspirational to Others – Using both your 100 words and images, plus the votes of consumers, the judges will determine if your story is likely to inspire other renovators – 25%
Judges will view the entries making their decision on merit based on these criteria. Chance plays no part in determining finalists, runner-up or overall winner.
The judges’ decision is final and binding. If in the opinion of the judges the entries do not reach the quality standard for the competition, the judges and Universal Media Co, in their discretion may decide not to grant all finalist positions. There will only be one winner.
The finalists and the winner will be notified by email.
Media coverage of the Home Design Magazine Renovation of the Year Awards includes (but is not limited to) Home Design Magazine, CompleteHome.com.au and associated social media channels.
Editorial comment on and photographic display of the projects entered will be at the discretion of the media. Whilst it is the aim of Universal Media Co and Home Design Magazine to feature the work of entrants accurately, the Promoter makes no representations or warranties as to the quality, suitability or merchantability of goods and services offered. To the extent permitted by law, the promoter is not liable for any loss suffered to person, business, entity or property by reason of any actor omission, deliberate or negligent, by the Promotor its employees or agents in connection with the arrangement for the supply of services. Whilst the promoter will make its best effort to feature the work of entrants accurately, then promotor including Home Design Magazine is not liable for any discrepancy, error, omission or misrepresentation of that participant or entry in any media report.
Universal Media Co will also be promoting pre, during & post awards, on all of our social media channels.
Universal Media Co shall promote the entire program to other media, seeking coverage. Whilst it is the aim of Universal Media Co to feature the work of entrants accurately, there will be no responsibility taken for discrepancy, error, omission or misrepresentation of that entry in any media report.
The following information is required to provide judges with information regarding the project prior to inspection. This information must accompany your entry.
Your completed entry will comprise of the following components:
- Online Form. A completed official online entry form.
- Digital Images. Images must be taken by you, or someone who has given you permission to use them in this specific context. Images must highlight any special features of the project as well as general shots. A minimum of eight (8) images (mix of internal and external images). Resolution of 300dpi with an image size of 21cm x 29cm (i.e., equates to A4 in size maximum) in JPEG file type only (please no PDF, PPT or TIFF file types). Please note if your images are not of high quality and you are a finalist you could be asked to resubmit them.
What do finalists get?
Finalists will receive…
- Coverage in Home Design Magazine, the com.au web portal, and associated social media pages.
- A Finalist Trophy
What is the prize?
The total prize pool is $9,999. There are two prizes
- Winner – A cheque for $9,000
- Runner-up – A $999 gift card
In addition to the above, all early entries received by 10th November will receive a free subscription to Home Design.
In addition to the above, all finalists will receive a trophy, and all professionals involved in finalists projects shall receive a trophy.
Entries are to be received by the Promoter by 5pm on 25th March 2022
Finalists will be announced 14th July 2022
32-page coverage will be in Vol 24 No 4 of Home Design Magazine in July 2022