The Block 2017 had quite a dramatic start, with the 48-hour challenge setting the standard for the entire season. We absolutely love that this year’s contestants have been set the challenge of renovating five inter-war heritage houses which have been transported to the location. They’re all worse for wear, but there’s no doubt they’ll be looking incredible soon enough! They have 12 weeks to complete a reno involving a huge three bedroom home, a two storey extension to the back, a backyard and a three car garage with a studio apartment on top with a budget of $250,000 to work with (plus additional vouchers from the show’s chosen suppliers). It’s no surprise this season is being referred to as the biggest Block ever!
Back to the 48-hour challenge – the contestants fought it out to have first dibs on their house of preference for the season. The challenge? To design and renovate a bedroom, in just 48 hours. The Blockheads got right into it, with some pretty great results.
Georgia and Ronnie took out the top prize, and rightly so! Check out their gorgeous Challenge Week-winning bedroom below:
A few great reno tips we picked up during the 48 hour challenge:
- Equip yourself with all necessary tools and plenty of supplies – there’s nothing worse than having to do to a Mitre-10 run in the middle of a project.
- Plan out how you’re going to allocate your budget – spending too much during the beginning of the reno could mean having to blow the budget or forfeit quality towards the end, which is never ideal.
- Bold feature walls work beautifully in bedrooms, especially when paired with metallics.
- Opt for a unique feature for a an element of WOW factor – we can’t get enough of Sticks and Wombat’s feature bedhead made of old railway sleepers.
- Carpets aren’t a necessity for bedrooms – if you’ve got great floorboards, just add a rug to the room for a touch of cosiness.