Mal Corboy is an internationally acclaimed designer and the brand ambassador for Schweigen
Schweigen designs Australia’s most efficient silent rangehoods and has built a reputation in the market by providing innovative, stylish and premium appliances suitable for every Australian household. We asked Mal for his top 5 tips on how to plan and create a well-designed kitchen.
1. Begin by creating a scrapbook of ideas. It’s very easy to do this now with social media sites such as Instagram and Pinterest. It’s also a good idea to add some of the things you don’t like so you have a clear, big picture.
2. If you’re planning to hire a designer, make sure you engage one that has the right qualifications. They should be a Certified Kitchen Designer (CKD). Also check to see how long they have been doing it and their design style, to make sure it fits with what you are looking for.
3. Don’t get too hung up on the refrigerator, sink and stove design triangle. This layout is now outdated thinking and we tend to design more in zones — for example, cleaning, food prep and storage zones.
4. Silent rangehoods are becoming more popular in the modern home. They are perfect for every home cook, allowing you to prepare meals in peace without having to worry about the noise. Schweigen offers silent rangehoods that are not only stylish, but also innovative, efficient and premium.
5. The kitchen is now the heart of many homes and has become more multi-functional. Take this into consideration when designing your kitchen. Also remember to consider your lifestyle and the type of cooking and food you like, as this has a big impact on the design of your kitchen.
Read more about kitchen design and see some of our favourite kitchens in our article: 10 quality kitchen designs
Written by Kate St James
Originally in Home Design Magazine Volume 20 Issue 4