Southern Beauty

Southern Beauty
Universal Magazines

Southern Ocean Lodge, on Kangaroo Island, is a luxury haven for travellers who appreciate natural beauty.

Kangaroo Island - Luxury Resort Accommodation 

Nestled just off the coast of South Australia, Kangaroo Island is a destination known for its abundant wildlife and spectacular natural beauty. Nature lovers of all types flock to this island paradise in search of some well-earned downtime. 

Southern Ocean Lodge has been constructed on the island’s south-west coast and adjoins both the Flinders Case and Kelly Hill national parks. Local architect Max Pritchard has designed the Lodge to exist harmoniously within the pristine environment and ensure minimal impact on the delicate coastline. A number of organic materials were specially chosen to be in keeping with the landscape including recycled timbers, white limestone floors and chalk-white limestone walls. 

The design utilises a variety of environmentally friendly and sustainable solutions including flow-through ventilation, orientation and glazing to capture sunlight and store natural heat. Water is harvested from all roof surfaces and stored in tanks with a capacity in excess of 1.5 million litres with the aim of the property being rainwater self-sufficient for four out of every five years. 

The lodge is owned by life and business partners James and Hayley Baillie. “The company is founded on principles designed to deliver an exceptional product that exceeds premium market expectations and strives to continually achieve ground-breaking environmental practices,” they explain. 

Southern Ocean Lodge has been approved under the Australian Government’s Environmental Protection & Biodiversity Conservation Ace, as well as the South Australian Government’s Development Act, National Parks & Wildlife Act, Native Vegetation Act and Natural Resources Management Act. 

Of the total 102 hectares, only 1 per cent of the land was cleared for the property with the remaining 99 per cent placed under a Heritage Agreement to prevent further development. 

Boasting 21 contemporary suites, all with breathtaking coastline and Southern Ocean views, the lodge is a welcome escape from everyday stress. The premium suite, the Osprey Pavilion, features panoramic views from a private terrace with a plunge spa. 

Every suite features lavish king beds, sunken lounge areas, dramatic glass-walled bathrooms and outdoor terraces with occasional seating and day beds. In addition, guests will enjoy the walk-in robes, complimentary room bar, optional climate control and heated floors, wireless internet, music system, premium amenities, bathrobes, slippers, twice-daily housekeeping and signature evening turndown service. 

Each of the bathrooms has been designed to ensure the user experiences a sense of wellbeing and peace with natural hues and clean, flowing products working in unison with the fabulous views. 

Chunky wooden vanities with open shelving and organically shaped basins provide plenty of space to store necessities while free-standing baths are positioned to allow the bathers to soak up the magnificent vista. 

Natural limestone walls and floors are the perfect backdrop to bring out the warmth of the timber which, in some suites, is reflected in the ceiling area. Simple, minimalist tapware and accessories sit comfortably in the background and, where colour has been used, it reflects the stunning blue of the water beyond. The overall feeling is one of serenity with soft, flowing curves and cool, soothing tones. 

Each of the bathrooms has been designed to ensure the user experiences a sense of wellbeing and peace with natural hues and clean, flowing products working in unison with the fabulous views. 

Southern Ocean Lodge
02 9918 4355 (reservations)
reserve@baillielodges.com.au
www.southernoceanlodge.com.au 

Rogerseller
www.rogerseller.com.au

Publish at: , last modify at: 30/06/2013

If you enjoyed this, sign up to our mailing list

Privacy policy