The Barn Door is no longer just for the farm. Now a design element that is beautiful in form as well as function, they’ve quickly become a highly sought-after feature inclusion
In the past they were associated with a country ‘farmhouse feel’ but with a fresh new approach to the humble barn door, their versatility means they are finding their way into just about any design style.
Whatever your style, Hardware & General can help you with your Barn Door requirements.
Smart Space Saver: An ideal option in smart functional space saving, this barn door suits a range of uses and provides an elegant solution to maximising space and flow in your home. Easy to use, they make accessibility and moving around simple for kids, the elderly and those with a disability. This makes them a great choice for multi-generational homes, an increasing trend seen across our communities and in home design.
Their use is going beyond that of ‘just a door’ and they are becoming an increasingly popular choice to effectively create ‘zones’ within homes. From acting as a ‘privacy screen’ to efficiently dividing space for heating and cooling, as well as hiding away work or messy task spaces.
Would a Barn Door Work Here?
The places and spaces a barn door can be used is more often than not, limited only by your imagination.
Here are three great uses for Barn Doors for your next project:
1. Room Divider:We all love modern open plan living but heating and cooling large open spaces can prove challenging and expensive. Barn doors can provide an elegant and space-saving solution.
2. Creating Privacy: A great option for small ensuites, where privacy and space to move is paramount, a barn door makes sense to maximise your floor space. Barn doors are also a clever alternative for bedrooms, be that for large master bedrooms, children’s beds and bunks or small studio apartments, helping to create privacy or quiet zones when needed or an open space when not. Their versatility means they can be a unique design feature while maintaining clean line aesthetics so often desired in modern interior design.
3. Keep behind closed doors: One increasingly popular application is using barn doors to hide away task areas, messy spaces or simply areas you don’t want as the focal point of the room all the time. Great in places like kitchens and laundries to hide away appliances, pantry items or work areas. Want to hide away your TV when friends are over? Barn doors could be a sleek and discrete answer.
What you need to know about barn doors:
Internal barn doors are a great solution throughout your home but you need to keep in mind:
- While saving floor space, they do require wall space. Make sure you have enough space for the the door to fully open
- Check your wall space doesn’t have anything sticking out from it – ie; electricity outlets, light switches, vents. Anything that stops the door from sliding properly
- Make sure your floor and ceiling are level, so your door slides easily and doesn’t ‘stick’
- Check the place you want to hang your barn door can support its weight
Need expert advice about which Barn Door will suit your space?
Call H&G Locks, Doors & Windows 8456-1144 or visit hg.com.au