A much-needed kitchen renovation that embraces the elaborate French provincial style
Taking on the renovation of an original kitchen that’s 80 years old and has never been updated was quite a challenge — one that faced Certified Kitchen Designer Allan Aitkin of Let’s Talk Kitchens. Over the years, the existing kitchen had certainly seen a lot of meals prepared and eaten. However, it was very outdated, with narrow benches and deep overhead cupboards and, despite the various design trends that had come and gone in the past eight decades, the kitchen’s design remained the same.
The owners had several ideas to transform the space and told the Let’s Talk Kitchens team they envisioned a French provincial feel with all the “frilly bits” associated with this luxurious style of kitchen, such as fluted corner posts, corbels and dentil-style capping.
In addition, the owners’ personal touches were incorporated to ensure the kitchen met their every need — special-order glass doors were added and they requested an open wicker basket area, which really adds to the rural French flavour.
When designing the space, Allan had to ensure there was enough walkway and clearance around the island bench ends to allow easy movement. Also, to provide satisfactory air flow relative to the cabinets below it, positioning of the reverse-cycle airconditioning unit had to be carefully planned. The final result is more than impressive.
“Thanks to attention to detail, we have been able to create the exact feel and look the client was after — it looks good and is totally functional,” said Allan.
The transformed kitchen, updated in a timeless style, is now sure to stand the test of time. Here’s to another 80 years!
- Hardware Blum white Tandembox with Orga-Line inserts, and Inserta hinges throughout.
- Handles Cream and pewter bale and T-handles from the Marina Isles collection.
- Benchtop 180-degree tight-formed laminate, Laminex Diamond Gloss Volcanic Stone.
- Splashback 100mm x 100mm gloss ceramic tiles in Butter.
- Kickboards Laminated and exposed vinyl skirting to island bench.
- Floor Stained and polished Tasmanian oak.
- Lighting Twin pendant with low-voltage ceiling spots.
- Appliances include a Westinghouse upright oven on custom-made base, Ilve under-cabinet rangehood, Westinghouse dishwasher, Westinghouse refrigerator, Oliveri single-bowl sink and Picardi taps in Pewter and Antique White from The English Tapware Company.
The kitchen was designed by Allan Aitken and built by Let’s Talk Kitchens 1295 Nepean Highway , Cheltenham Vic 3192 Phone (03) 9584 5200; 265 Springvale Road , Glen Waverley Vic 3150 Phone (03) 9887 8788 Email firstname.lastname@example.orgWebsite www.letstalkkitchens.com.au
Vicki Morskate Photography